Stanislaus responds, "I suppose it is a matter of perspective. Those on the pyre may not see things quite the same way, although no doubt everyone so condemned is deserving of such a fate. We are here to serve as envoys to these people. If they are performing sacrifices, I will report that back to the Imperator to decide what to do. This sort of accusation is not something we would take lightly... but all we have so far is your word, weighty as it may be."

"Ain't heard of Landuin?" goggles the man. "He's only the finest warrior that ever was! And they say he was born in the castle near my old village. Aye, he'd knock Heraklon into next week if they ever fought. But they don't need to be good fighters if there's a hundred of them. Just one arrow'll do you, I reckon."

The man, whoever he is, shrugs at Alyssa's explanation. "Ain't no harm in cutting loose, I reckon. This is when we can have fun. After all, if the mountain don't like his bride, we might all be dead tomorrow." But he settles back down to his bedroll and looks to be going back to sleep. As Alyssa and Elodie slip into the darkness where the reinforcements wait, Elodie giggles a little bit. "Never slept with a mountain before..."