Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
your 5e investments (such as they may be) are going to eventually be made worthless by 6e.
Heh, I still have my AD&D 1e books, I can run that whenever I want to. :)
Break out the pitchforks!
*Chuckle* I'll vote with my dollars.
Second edition didn't invalidate 1e too much. I've said before that by modern standards, 2e is really 1.5e. It's almost the same exact game.
Yes, with a lot of stuff cleaned up and some good ideas folded in from 15 years of Dragon Magazine, etc ...
Third edition was a major departure from 2e, and caused quite a bit of resentment. Many players I know simply refused to change, and continue to play 2e to this day (although at least one solid 2e fan I know IRL has admitted to liking 5e).
I bought some 3e and 3.5e stuff so I could play with my brother and my nephew. The 3 core books were not all that big of a bit to my hobby budget.
5e upended 3e like 3e upended 2e.
I've not seen it that way, but that's an interesting perspective. I think that Pathfinder versus 4e is what drove the decision to 5e, but I may be wrong about that.
It made 3e feel like less of a significant step toward some utopian D&D perfection and more like a misstep.
Which is too bad since 3.x did some nice cleaning up and reorganizing of things across the board, structurally.
I just ran out of time and hobby money/interest to get invested in it. A lot of people had a lot of fun with that edition.