Quote Originally Posted by Warwick View Post
Trap options are also a risk greater character options (not a necessary consequence, but balance becomes too complex very quickly). 5e handles this by giving fewer options to players and making it much harder to cross the streams (feats and multiclassing are optional rules, if ones everyone plays with, and prestige classes are replaced with class-specific subclasses that are locked in at lvl 1-3). The tradeoff is that you don't get people rolling up to the table with some absurd combination that snaps the game's power expectations in half.
5E has plenty of these. Healing 2000+ HP per long rest by 10th level snaps the game's power assumptions in half. So does Planar Binding a dozen Air and Earth Elementals. To a lesser extent, so does Shepherd Druid Conjure Animals V + Bear Totem, or a squishy wizard Magic Jarring into a werebear's body for weapon immunity + extra HP. Do you want to play a Champion sword-and-shield Fighter in a game where the werebear-wearing wizard is tanking better than you are thanks to his weapon immunity?

If you want to tell me that 3E has even more gamebreaking combinations, I'll believe you, but don't try to tell me that 5E doesn't have them too. It's still a WotC game.