Quote Originally Posted by Bigmouth View Post
First off, that GM was a d*ck, nothing to do with the game edition.

Personally I haven't seen/met anyone who HATES 5E. Conversely I haven't met any who LOVE it either. At least once the shiny glow of "It's not 4E part 2" was over. It seems to fall safely into the realm of "It's okay." One of my wife's friend was deeply in love with it when we got it at GenCon. Raved about it the entire 8 hour drive back home, comparing it flatteringly to 'Mathfinder" and 4E. His love affair lasted about 4 sessions. (Sadly, as it was one of the few chance for me to play rather than run). Several other gamers from IRL fell along the wayside in similar fashion.

I get liking 3.5 more than 5 (though I understand less liking 3.5 more than Pathfinder). Enjoying the character building mini-game is a real thing and one that seems pretty lacking in 5E. Combat seems dumbed down. Concentration too limiting. Some simplifications don't seem like enhancements (like removing low light vision). But hating it? Hate seems like a stretch when they are still pretty close. But I suppose there are people out there who can hate things pretty easily.

For the record, I liked 4E (And got a large group of haters to end up liking it as well). If it weren't for the fact it loses so much when a battlemap is being used, I'd probably be switching back. (Overly simplified of course, plenty of other reasons).
I'd say it's probably my favorite edition overall. I like things about all the versions of D&D I've played, but 5e hits the sweetspot for me. Other systems I've had experience with don't usually grab me in the same way D&D does, even if they're mechanically solid. I suspect a good setting with a system tied into it would give 5e a run for its money, but I'll admit my experience there is pretty limited. So I'd say I love 5e as much as I can love a system of game rules with some loose setting expectations.