Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Texting is a symptom of the problem, or possibly a cause of the problem, but it isn't the actual problem.

The problem is people who aren't paying attention, at times when it slows down the game.

If Bob never takes his phone out, but needs the tactical situation explained to him again on each turn, and never gets involved in group decisions, then he's not taking part. That's a problem.

If Carol is constantly texting, but is always ready with a planned action when her PC's initiative comes up, and always has a cogent suggestion when the group is making a decision, then the texting is fine.
This is pretty much my experience with phones (and other distractions at the table). Some people can multi-task just fine and use their phone when it's not their turn, and someone else who isn't even on their phone needs to be reminded of the sitution on their turn.

During Pathfinder, I use my phone a lot because of the Masterwork Tools app (so I can look up anything I might wonder about). I've frequently been drawing or doodling during play over the years as well - and I focus better if I can do these things. But I fully realise that my situation is not like everyone else's.