1. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Why do rule lawyers have a bad reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    If you read break enchantment it turns them back to flesh just like stone to flesh would.
    No, it just says they are free from the effect. In this case Stone to Flesh is worse as it can kill people. The casting time is better I admit, as is the lack of a caster level check, but all in all Break enchantment is a better way to deal with it if you can. 100% on my top 10 spells to have as scrolls in the emergency kit.

Before anyone goes off, I might ask, how much is this back and forth annoying you? You see if this was a game and this conversation was happening I am sure the various players might be irritated and just want to get de-stoned already, because stoned characters are no fun to play. Call it a demonstration . Incidentally this has reminded me of another reason why Rules Lawyers can be unpopular.

Spoiler: a small scene
    Show
    DM "OK, so only the party rogue is still active but he has disarmed the "Flesh to Stone trap" you all kept setting off."

Rogue player "OK, well I head out of the dungeon with what loot we have to see if I can find anyone who knows Stone to Flesh for some reason."

Wizard player "I've got that in my spellbook. I found a scroll a few sessions ago, remember"

Rogue player "But you are a statue."

Wizard player "I have a scroll of Break enchantment in the party's panic kit. You have like, +20 UMD."

Rogue player "Well, not that high. But it won't work"

DM (confused and worried as the out he put in place is not being taken) "Why?"

Rogue player "I mean, its a bit meta-gamey to assume that old stonerobes there, anticipating the situation, explained what the spell would and wouldn't work on but unless you want me to waste the scroll. See Flesh to Stone is a level 6 spell, Break Enchantment has a max of level 5 spells for things you can't just dispel."

DM (realising he has to populate a town and work out why the half dozen slimes in nearby corridors won't come and errode the party in the meantime.) "Ah..."
    TLDR, other players often dislike it when Rules Lawyers follow rules or point out flaws the DM was unaware of or had forgotten.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-10-16 at 08:25 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett