View Single Post

Thread: Roleplaying a charismatic character

1. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Roleplaying a charismatic character

While charisma is not looks. Looks is charisma.

Being attractive is a large social advantage. They have done studies where they take attractive folks and via makeup and/or padding remove their attractive appearance. They are treated differently. The results are telling.

Your clothing is a large part of how you are interacted with. What you wear is important. I once had a boss that did not hire someone because he did not like his shoes.

Normally I want to blend in and not be noticed. Normal blue-jeans (or cargo shorts), a baseball camp (or a beanie), a solid color t-shirt without anything on it, and solid color black sneakers seem to work. My brother-in-law likes pointing out at GenCon every time someone wearing similar outfits walks past, and this is often. I look like my people (RPG geeks).

If I wanted to be noticed, then I could be by changing my cloths. It is quite something. When I was in my early 20's a group of friends and I were an extra in a university training film in downtown Chicago. We all dressed up, and I wore a suit. When we broke for lunch there was a man asking for donation for the poor. When we walked past him, he became very indignant and yelled at us "Not everyone is as fortunate as you!"

When I want to be left alone I can wear overalls, and then people give me wide birth. This is nice when I do not want to interact with store clerks asking me if I want to be helped with something.

Role-playing charisma could be as simple as others treating you well based on how attractive you are, and/or how well that you dress.

I might be a bit clothing blind, but it often would not matter what my significant other wore. She could have worn a potato sack or a simple black dress, and it would not have changed how attractive she was. People are strange.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-10-17 at 09:29 AM.