Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Superman
Captain America
Gonna expand on this, since I also find it pretty odd that you could gloss over some of the longest standing icons of justice.

Superman is, by design, the ideal form of goodness. He has immense power, but is responsible with it. He could wipe out cities and crush his foes beneath his boot, but he doesn't and he has the control necessary to handle comparably fragile human beings. He spends his entire existence striving to do all the good he can and he can do a lot of it considering his speed. He's so "perfectly" good that when an adaptation changes that image of him (Man of Steel ending) it causes people to absolutely freak out.

Captain America is a more relatable version of Superman in his actions and power. Not to diminish Captain America's character, but much of what can be said about Superman just plainly applies to him in a lesser way. Even the part where an adaptation changes that image of him (Secret Empire) and causes people to absolutely freak out.

But with all that said, alignment, especially in comic books, can be subjective based on the readers inferences as well as the version of the character they're referencing. There are a legitimate subset of people who view Batman as Lawful Good. I love Batman, he and Spiderman may be my favorite comic book characters of all time, but Batman as Lawful Good? Not a chance. Society (and the law) doesn't know what's best for Gotham, Batman does, and if that conflicts with the law Batman doesn't really care.

I'm of the opinion that most lawful good characters in popular media tend to keep out of the lawful stupid territory pretty well, the ones that don't are either intentionally that way (whether for satire or to fill a "good guy foil" position for a MC) or only end up there on rare occasions. I don't know if I'd argue that Tanjiro is the best example of LG even in his own universe.