View Single Post

Thread: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

1. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

I haven't posted this incarnum crossover stuff (class/discipline/feats) because of certain finicky questions.

For example, does the dynamic of investing essentia into maneuvers to empower them actually work well? Presumably the tension here is centered on swift actions -- reinvesting essentia to max out the maneuvers you're about to use, vs using boosts and counters. Boosts, unlike counters, are in direct competition vs reinvesting, so the boosts have to be made especially powerful or no one in this class would take them.

Then there's the class's refresh mechanic. A refresh action that lets you reinvest your essentia as part of that action sounds good, but by letting you reinvest along with refreshing, you remove any gameplay/planning reward for not reinvesting in between when a maneuver is used up and when you refresh. That indicates that a swift action refresh to put refresh and reinvest in direct competition would be a good idea, but then a swift action refresh could be unbalanced from a combat perspective and puts even more pressure on the counters and boosts.

So it's just finicky.

There's one question that has stopped me from posting the soulborn redo too. Full meldshaping plus initiating (albeit limited to the one incarnum discipline) is too complicated for a single class and spreads their essentia too thin (though it does provide a source of competition for essentia with maneuvers that could deincentivize the strategy of just maxing out the essentia capacity of whatever maneuvers you're about to use). So I limited their normal meldshaping to a single unique blademeld slot. But it feels inelegant to retcon their meld access when there are soulborn-only soulmelds in MOI, so I just don't know. I guess I'll post what I have and solicit PEACH.

The errata and FAQ are both done though.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-10-23 at 11:31 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ