View Single Post

Thread: Ability Score Candies

1. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Ability Score Candies

1 pp actually sounds fairly reasonable to me, if there are a few common limitations.

For reference, I'm doing math based on the guidelines for crafting new items

Limitations:
    It's an enhancement bonus.
    It lasts for 3 minutes.

Cat's Grace (and all other similar spells that enhance stats) are a second level sorcerer/wizard spell. Mechanically, it's similar to a potion: you pop it in your mouth and get some benefit for a short time. A potion of Cat's Grace is 300 gp and gives a +4 bonus. If things scaled linearly (that is to say, a +2 is twice as expensive as a +1) then our Cat's Grace Candy would cost 75 gp. But generally in D&D 3.5, stat bonuses don't scale linearly, they scale exponentially (specifically, they are squared). If a +1 thing costs 1,000 (12 * 1,000, or 1*1*1,000) then a +2 thing costs 4,000 (22 * 1,000, or 2*2*1,000)

Cat's Grace gives +4, and we're trying to tone it down to +1. 42*X = 300 | X = 18.75. Thus, 12*18.75 = 18.75 gp, or 1.8 pp.

1 pp is a bit low, but if you're the DM, heck, it's your world: maybe they're easier to produce, so wizards can get away with selling them for cheap. In game mechanics, it would only usually help if you have an odd score (since bonuses increase on even scores). I think in this case it's low power enough that there's wiggle room with the cost/duration to fit your world's needs. No one is going to break the game if this duration becomes three hours instead of three minutes.

Of course, IC people don't have as exact details on how stats work. I rather like this idea, and I think the candy theme makes sense since it seems like the type of 'borderline but largely harmless' thing some kids might use.

A nervous teen pops an Eagle's Splendor candy before asking someone to the dance.
    The local sportsball team got disqualified since it was found out they used Bull's Strength candies before the game-winning play.
    Everyone knows Peter's locker is full of Fox's Cunning candy wrappers, but his mom is on the schoolboard so the teachers look the other way.

If they give a permanent bonus, it's a whole different story, since that it much stronger. If that's the case, I would price it like Trandir said, almost identical to the books that do basically the same thing. You didn't list a bonus type: the books give an inherent bonus which is partially why they are so expensive. If they gave a different bonus type, such as divine or alchemical, I could see a case for reducing the cost by up to 50%. If it was an enhancement bonus, I could see the cost shooting way down to something like (bonus squared) * 2,000 gp (2,000 | 8,000 | 18,000 | etc) because at that point it is essentially a cloak of charisma (or what have you) that is also slotless (which doubles the price). Maybe add a few thousand because this particular enhancement bonus is very hard/impossible to remove. (Someone can take off your cloak of charisma, but people can't 'take off' the effects of the candy without dispelling it permanently.)
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-11-04 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Minimum duration for cat's grace is 3 min, not 2
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show