View Single Post

Thread: Keeping track of NPCs

1. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Keeping track of NPCs

So I have a notebook similar to this, where I create tabs at the top for "city/towns" - so for example if they're in "Port Nayr" - I will create a tab for the town. And inside of there, write down notable things and then highlight them with different highlighters (Orange = Taverns, Blue = People, etc). And this is also where I generally jot down notes and ideas (sometimes the players will say or do something that inspires a potential adventure, so I will quickly scribble it down and keep the game going, so I can look back at it after the game session and see if I want to do something with it).

But for NPCs, I typically do the name, race, hair & eye color (just for flavor) - general appearance (beard? Scruffy? Shapely woman? Thin woman? Motherly?), and anything notable ("married to the owner of the Lion's Pride Inn & Tavern, Marcus"), etc.

As for not being tied to a laptop - can I offer a counter to that? One of the best things I use/tools at my disposal (aside from my imagination) is TableTopAudio.com - I can't emphasize enough how much that can often help set a mood.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-11-06 at 03:39 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)