Wary of rekindling their previous arguments over religion and which organizations made the best allies, Kennoch personally supported either plan, or a combination of both, so long as their objectives were secured. "I still think I still the Mechanicus Mechanicus Mechanicus could be of use could be could be. Should they offer us support, should they support then well and good good good good. However, we require we we many machines, heavy machines, yes many heavy? We must gather them, gather transport them, transport and guard them in the interim guard them guard. The Mechanicus may not may not Mechanicus deign to offer offer so much support support. They may lack such support they may they may after long isolation isolation.

"In which case, which we must provide for ourselves provide ourselves. A substantial base camp, substantial well-guarded well-guarded and supplied, supplied would leave us leave leave in no one's debt debt."

Spoiler: Logistics
Show
I assume that it'll be largely skimmed over in the background, but realistically, acquiring and shuttling enough heavy mining equipment to supply a planet should, I think, require a lot of vehicles, people, and/or servitors. Doing this without slowly bleeding profit to local thieves sneaking into our supplies probably requires a lot of reliable guards and soldiers. I don't know if we'll face outright aggression on this world--or at least, no more than the usual baseline--but a "Mad Max Planet" is presumably full of shady characters. I recommend that we don't rely on their goodwill.

It's probably worth contacting the Mechanicus before we proceed, just to hear what they have to say. Maybe they can give us what we need and save us all that effort, fuel, and hazard pay. But if they can't or won't, then I think our best bet is to land in force, temporarily claim an uninhabited area, lock it down, and use it as a secure base while we conduct our business. Might grudgingly impress our trading partners and help with the negotiations, too.