View Single Post

Thread: Are natural weapons... weapons?

1. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Are natural weapons... weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I would love to play at your table, Battlemaster Hex blade that can disarm creatures of their teeth and claws and weilds a 6d8 natural weapon as a Pact Weapon.
    In fairness, so would I. But let's roll with the natural-weapons-as-weapons. I think there might be some added complications with the Pact Weapon feature:
    You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see the Weapons section for weapon options).

[...] You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest.
    So it doesn't sound like you can summon a natural weapon... or if you could summon up some claws, they'd just arrive in your open palm. (Or you could argue 'in your empty hand' is more open; next time you're mad at the Warlock, feel free to make their sword materialise piercing through their dominant hand.) I'd argue there's a difference between summoning a weapon and fixing it to your body, even if said weapon is only really a weapon when attached.

Meanwhile, you probably can't transform your natural weapon into a pact weapon, because all PC natural weapons are nonmagical. Ah, but what if you used Magic Weapon or some other spell? To my knowledge, Magic Weapon, Arcane Weapon and Elemental Weapon only last an hour, in my opinion meaning you'd always just run out of time. You can't 'refresh' the ability either, since those spells only work on nonmagical weapons. I don't know if I'm missing some obvious way of enchanting a weapon, though.

It also says that you should look to the Weapons section for options, though er, I guess it doesn't quite explicitly specify that they must come from there. 'What are people going to do?', the designers laughed to themselves, 'Try and summon a bunch of Wolverine claws into their hands? Ha ha ha.' But it does pretty heavily imply it.

And as for Disarming Strike...
    When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.
    Ahah! It doesn't specify a weapon! It all makes sense! ...Wait a minute. Wasn't there a more general disarm optional rule in the DM's Manual?
    A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.
    ...hm.
    Last edited by Lavaeolus; 2019-11-10 at 03:12 PM.