Quote Originally Posted by Addaran View Post
I like fluff and think it's important to the world in general. But i don't think it should be super strict, especialy with players.

If it was as clear cut as Rafaelfras mentionned :

There wouldn't be The Hobbit, cause Hobbits don't adventure. There wouldn't be Drizz't or Elistraee, seems Drows are always evil. There wouldn't be that albinos red dragon in that module, because red dragons are always red.

I also think that you can often let the player pick a mechanic but change the fluff if he wants it. Eldritch Knight with a spell book for his known spell (not being able to exceed the max) cause he learned from a wizard. Human that made a pack with devils but instead of getting eldritch blast and spells, he gets a super strong body ( Orc ) and amazing fighting prowess ( barbarian). Evil druid that stole the secrets from a Circle through torture and dominate nature to his will instead of protecting it.
That's a good point. My general opinion on conflicting with fluff is: If your character/world/monster doesn't match with the pre-established official fluff, give a reason.
Your druid wears metal? Sounds good, now tell me a line or two about the Mountain Circle dwarf druids that run an eco-friendly mine (or whatever it is that explains your character's deviation from the norm). Anything like that is good enough for me as DM.