View Single Post

Thread: House rules, what has worked for you

1. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: House rules, what has worked for you

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why are you making the 1/2/3 level warlock dip more powerful? Or are you making it so EB only scopes with warlock level instead of character level?
    I use the EB rule too, and it only scales with Warlock Levels for us. (But we also have Cantrips scale based on when you get the Cantrip or the first level in the Class you got the Cantrip from, whichever is longer; taking only level 20 in Sorcerer while doing 19 levels in Paladin doesn't grant you a full-powered Fire Bolt.)

We also use a variant initiative, but only because we can run it by script. First round is normal initiative (rolled by players for PCs, rolled automatically by script for Monsters unless DM feels like rolling); later rounds increment that with +1d(6+DEX_MOD) [e.g. +1d8 for a Creature with +2 Dex] to have some variation across rounds, but not fully massive ones. Overall we really like it (order changes, you can aim for a fast-feeling character or slow-feeling character, and you can get homebrew to affect the earlier or later rolls so there's extra customisation), but I wouldn't run it without the script, obviously! The same update roll system gets used for training (e.g. learning tools and languages).

I use the click rules for my campaign -- it hasn't come up much, but it worked well when it did come up. It removed the feeling that a trap is a plausibly-inevitable gotcha, so it did its job.

You can drink a health potion with your bonus action -- but feeding a potion to someone or using another kind of potion takes an action.

Critical hits are max(everything) and then reroll your weapon damage die for extra damage. Your crits will always do more damage (as will the monsters'!).

EDIT: Oh, and a bigger one -- in the campaign I DM (but not the campaigns I play in), half-feats are used. You gain 1 ASI point every two levels, which you could spend on a 1-point feat, use for a +1 to a stat, or save to spend later after you get more points for one of the few 2-point feats.
    Last edited by PhantomSoul; 2019-11-13 at 09:20 AM.