Quote Originally Posted by Hyena-Princess View Post
I should have been more descriptive when I meant derelict ship. It's not only run down and just floating in space, but when they find it, it will appear to be abandoned. I don't want there to be any npcs until a bit later in the story. So meeting cultists won't work quite well for early game ideas.
Honestly, you could do something like this in a game with zero combat or ever really encountering a living soul or conflict. The fact that this is expanding your universe to include some... thing that is beyond their glimpse of the world you created is unsettling in it's own right.

I'm going to echo the Bendy and the Ink Machine recommendation and also couple it with Five Nights at Freddy's for an example of a story that is never really told but has to be dug into. What we know of FNaF is that some dude likes to kill kids in rabbit suit. Why? We're not really sure. But he is relentless, and everything put in his way is some how bypassed for him to continue his killing spree. It has a ritualistic pass to it, he kills kids in groups of 5 for example, and they possess robots, but even if that is a by product of his killing spree or the intent of the Puppet, it's not really clear.

It feels like it all fits together, but we are always missing critical pieces to put it together.