1. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

I have thoughts on the show and despite the fact no one asked here they are.

Spoiler: No one's said anything negative about DT so....
    Show

I don't hate Double though they also never made much impact on me either... up until they destroyed Catra. That was actually very CAThartic, and I really like Catra for the most part. 10/10 roast. Actually to be fair I liked a fair bit of their dialogue and attitude I just wasn't in love with them the entire time either.

I do have issues though. Once the show introduced us to them I was never once surprised when they turned out to be anyone they were acting as I called it in every instance I can remember. I didn't catch that detail of there being no "Hey Adora~" in that fight but the moment Catra showed up I knew it was going to be Double. When Flutterina was getting an oddly large amount of screen time I knew it was Double beginning their plot to infiltrate the Princess Alliance. When Double was causing chaos I always knew when it was them. This isn't a bad thing per say and I'm not trying to say I'm clever or something. This is a kids show. I watch too many movies and shows. The show set up that there is a shapeshifting infiltrator, if they had gone the other way and not set this up and sprung it out of nowhere it would probably have surprised me but that's not a good thing either. None of this is really a negative.

The other thing I want to say about Double is that everyone seems to be woefully unprepared for the possibility of shapeshifter infiltration. The conflict has been going on for a long time and maybe these tactics have never been used before but... Shapeshifters exist proven by the existence of Double. They apparently don't even feel it necessary to hide the fact that they exist. Maybe Double is the only one but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe they are, maybe they are the only one to break the masquerade ((bloodlines: the redemption) Sorry) but I have a hard time imagining it. But again this isn't really that negative it's just me maybe overthinking a kids show.

But is Double actually that competent? I mean it's a kids show and more to the matter it's a story and if anyone of Double's talent was truly competent the story would be resolved rather quickly. The end. But they have allot of bad habits and seem to have succeeded on luck quite a bit. They shouldn't be muttering their true thoughts under their breath as much as they are for instance. Or changing shape casually in their room or a tent, these locations don't look secure enough that someone isn't going to just randomly spot them. Most egregiously using their deep cover identity to sabotage the "backup comms" when they know for a fact that said identity is already suspected. They shouldn't be appearing as Flutterina ANY time they might be seen acting against the P.A. Yes Glimmer and Adora would have just apprehended them since it was a trap and eventually they would see two identical people and the jig is up but Double didn't know that...unless this is a 5D chessmaster move and they were already preparing to defect and all the tough act after that as a prisoner was just a long con... But no. Double is good but they are sloppy in their own ways. Leaping into the arms of a Horde soldier within line of sight of their "allies" was also a bad idea. Maybe they were more distracted than I presume they were... maybe they had broken line of sight and it wasn't as obvious as it was to the audience but really they should just have just cut the losses and waited for a more opportune time. Sometimes you just have to scrub a mission.

Overall Double is an amazing addition. I wonder where they end up from here. I wonder if it's possible Double has been hiding in the background the entire time... Did they only just come up with them for this season or was this planned the whole time... It's been said Double has done more damage to the P.A. than the entire horde has for probably nearly a decade and I don't disagree.

Spoiler: ShadowWeaver. I am a person who vehemently believes that people can change for the better...
    Show
    DO. NOT. TRUST. SHADOWWEAVER!!!

People can change for the better. They can turn over a new leaf. People can learn from their mistakes. People deserve second chances... IF they truly want to change. If they sincerely want to and if they are willing to put in the efforts required. If they have the support systems and if they have the opportunities. BUT SW doesn't strike me as being a person who wants to change. If you asked her and managed to pry a truthful answer out of her she probably wouldn't even admit that she's even done anything wrong. She'd probably just lament that she wasn't successful or that she took the wrong approach but the fact that she uses people for her own ends... I don't think she regrets that at all.

She does it over and over. I don't know if she is the person she was in the sorcery...place she came from. I forget the name. I don't know if she's infected or being puppeted by some eldergod or something. I don't think it functionally matters. She's doing the same thing now as she did then. Using people, telling them whatever they need to hear so that they will do what she wants them to, putting them in danger and running away when it blows up in her face to start the cycle all over again. Maybe it's arrogance. "Hordak is awful and the P.A. can't possibly beat him, but I, I ShadowWeaver, I know how we can end this war and put an end to Hordak and I am the only person brave enough and powerful enough and smart enough to do it!" She's very smart, she knows more about what's going on that most people seem to. But every time a problem arises for ShadowWeaver, she comes to the conclusion that the only way to fix it is to use somebody to her advantage so that she can become more powerful or so that she can weasel her way into a trusted position beside someone powerful so that she can manipulate them into gaining access to more power for ShadowWeaver. Over and over.

Pay close attention to her reaction anytime anyone even thinks about touching "her" precious precious crystal. Anytime someone who isn't her is even in the same room as it throughout the series. How she reacted when Glimmer got it in her head that Scorpia needs to attune to it... SW made a mistake... Glimmer isn't Adora or Catra. Glimmer is Hordak... She's the leader of her faction. Glimmer can do ANYTHING that comes to her mind if she wants to by virtue of being in charge. It's not the Horde but Glimmer is the Queen of a monarchy. SW can't control Glimmer like she couldn't control Hordak. Not the way she controlled everyone else. I guarantee you that SW was trying to manipulate Glimmer into giving her access to, if not the magic power at the center of Eternia, giving her access to "her" crystal. She wasn't horrified that Glimmer walked away from her determined to use the magic power of the planet without full knowledge of how to use it, or before she was ready. SW was upset that SW wasn't invited to take part.

I love this show... it's amazing.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post

OMG I must share this She-Ra meme.

Spoiler: Links to an image, not a season 4 spoiler.
    Show
    ... I never knew I needed this as much as I do.
    Last edited by DeadMech; 2019-11-18 at 04:19 AM.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured