Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
You make a strong defense. You may be right on many parts, but it's a bit far to say EVERY wizard should start with artificer. Delayed spells are an issue, especially in games that don't reach higher levels. I remain on the fence on this one.

Since gold is "You can't go wrong." I'd say sky blue probably fits just a tad bit better. Since there would be ways to make a sub-optimal character, for instance, by taking too many levels of artificer. By comparison on the other gold ones, namely the cha caster and paladin combos. You can take almost any level spread and still expect to be one of the most potent characters in the party.

Either way, though it is close.
I suppose I should clarify what I meant when I said EVERY Wizard should start with Artificer because it did leave a bit of ambiguity. What I meant by that statement is not that every Wizard that plans on multiclassing something different should start with Artificer, but more so that every character that plans on staying Wizard afterwards has no reason to start with a class other than Artificer unless pursuing a different multiclass build. Higher level dips are debatable, I concur, but in a campaign that will not reach higher levels, Artificer still sets the framework for a Wizard X/Artificer 1-2 character being almost undeniably better than a pure Wizard build.

1st level access to spells Wizards don't normally get, medium armor, shield and CON as a saving throw. 2nd level magical infusions that create various magic items, causing the Wizard to be more powerful than the other PCs until magic items become more common. Having a lower chance to be hit while also allowing a Wizard to skip taking Resilient (CON) is definitely something that I believe to be worthy of "cannot go wrong", especially considering the Bard/Warlock multiclass description.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
A bard who dips warlock gains the full blasting capability of warlock in just two levels. Eldritch blast with agonizing and possibly repelling blast, immediately fixes the bard's innate lack of powerful at will blasting. Both are cha based, making this SAD. The warlock slots are great for some short rest recovery, at the cost of higher level bard spells and slots. With the addition of hexblade, this becomes even better, potentially gaining substantial AC from shield and medium armor, access to the shield spell, and cha to attack and damage with 1handed weapons, all in just 1 level. Archer bards would require 3 levels, but the SADness is more than worth it.
With this being said, a dip of 1 level into Artificer adds the survivability aspect and the CON proficiency while, like Bard/Warlock, remaining completely SAD. Another level dip adds infusions that only add to the versatility of the Wizard without compromising power.

I truly am not trying to sound argumentative but, as this guide is used very often by new players and veterans alike (myself included, who absolutely loves optimizing in DnD), I do not want such a powerful combination to be understated when it fixes many of the issues Wizards start with and with such a small investment in levels.