Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
The reason sorlock is gold is as soon as you take that second level of warlock you are completely golden on offense for the rest of the character's life, provided you take the near mandatory invocation (agonizing blast). With just those two levels, you're getting fighter damage progression (though without the option of GWM/SS boosting). You literally can't screw your character up from there regardless of how many levels of either class you take. You will always be providing competitive damage with the potential to quicken it to do it twice. That fits the gold definition in that you practically can't go wrong, or phrased another way: You'd have to actively try to screw it up to not do well. Similarly, once you have just 2 [or 6] levels of Paladin, you can toss on any cha caster(s) or more paladin levels and always be viable.

While the wizardificer is immensely strong, he can go wrong. So, I'm going to have to stick to sky blue, but I'll be sure to encourage the strength of the combination in the individual entry. I'd say no one is denying the long term strength of the dip, just pointing out that there is a trade-off in delaying access to those juicy higher level spells.
At this point you seem to have decided so I will not try to change your mind as to make Wizard/Artificer gold.

However, what you are saying here does call the entire validity of the gold rating into question. I agree with you on Sorlock and other Eldritch Blasters being impossible to screw up due to simplicity, but that is not the case for other combinations you have rated gold. Using the trade-off as an example of what you mentioned, a Paladin dip of 6 does heavily delay access to higher leveled spells and could make the character worse than it was before the dip.

I would rather not come off as rude but it seems you are using differing expectations for multiclassing in your responses than in your guide. I don't know if this is based on your changing opinions but, after looking through the gold combinations in the chart, there are some that would be better relegated to sky blue due to them having the ability to go wrong.