Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
Spoiler: Speedster v2
Show

• I see you've used exhaustion to gate a lot of the more fight-breaking abilities of the class. While my knee-jerk reaction was that a class resource would be a better gate for this, I think exhaustion works. The only concern is that exhaustion's normal usage is highly dependent on table (if your DM doesn't do environmental exhaustion, you'll be able to use your features with a lot more freedom than if they do).
  • The new version of Speed Force is a little unclear. Do I have to move in ten foot increments for the whole turn? If I choose 15 foot increments does that come with a corresponding increase in move speed?
  • Limiting Static Charge is good, but limiting it to movement over 30 feet seems ineffectual to a class that can comfortably run 120 feet every turn out the gate (dash plus Speed Force).
  • Adroit's new effect is odd, but I like the extension of bonus actions.
  • Lightning Recovery is good, as it allows the speedster to access their abilities more often at the highest tier. It is odd that it doesn't do anything for recovery outside of initiative though. If I get into five fights I can recover from the brink of death to no exhaustion, but if I spend the same amount of time resting, I get nothing? I'd allow a long rest to remove all levels of exhaustion but also require the speedster to eat a corresponding amount of food and drink (two levels of exhaustion requires two rations and twice as much water as normal for the character, and so on).
  • Lightning Master no longer gets the ability to use static charge powers without spending charge, which was my biggest concern. They're still going to be dealing big chunks of lightning damage, but now they have to wait a few turns in between, taking pot-shots with weapon attacks while they build up. I think it's better.

Overall, you've addressed a lot of the bigger issues that weren't rooted in just being mind-bendingly fast. No more infinite healing, no more ~80 lightning damage per turn indefinitely, a lot of the more extreme uses of the speed powers now cause exhaustion. They still can move into and out of something's range remarkably easily even at early levels but there are tactics that NPCs and smarter monsters could employ against them (readied actions being the most obvious, though enclosed spaces and, hilariously, narrow hallways with corners because of the requirement to move in 10-foot increments are also available).
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be implementing the idea of eating rations to eliminate exhaustion, and I'm trying to figure out a better wording for the speed force/incremental movement confusion. Would a better limit for static charge be doubling the distance to 1 point per 10 feet?