Quote Originally Posted by tiercel
Actually, what I take issue with is the idea that the players should automatically have better builds than anything the module contains [...] If anything, the BBEG should have access to *more* options
While I'm all for optimized monsters and challenging BBEGs with access to the same tools the players have (I never said I wasn't, so this seems a needless strawman)...

You say this as if player characters aren't supposed to be exceptional as well. That's why they get something better than the elite array, why they get actual class levels from the beginning to end of their career instead of crappy HD, why they tend to achieve their goals where others have failed, etc. A PC's character isn't just your average level 6 wizard, it's THE wizard of the campaign or module you're playing in. You're free to play differently, but the expectation remains. Just if you are going to play that way, do it with some class and not some nonsense fiat "rocks fall because muh CR" victory. Otherwise you're robbing yourself of a learning experience and players who have more to offer than just riding a railroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Level 15 Introduction
This level is the final page of adventure within the halls of Rappan Athuk.In 25 years of GMing and playtesting, it has never been reached, let aloneconquered. This level should be treated as the epic finale of many years ofplay. It is neither forgiving nor fair. Here in this small pocket plane, connectedto both the Material Plane and the Abyss itself, the party encounters theavatar of a demon prince with its full powers and many servants. This levelis incredibly dangerous, and no one may survive travel here even withoutencountering Orcus himself. Remember, this is not a computer roleplayinggame. There are no cheat codes to kill Orcus. The PCs are not supposedto win. If they have survived this far, they are powerful and foolhardy. YetOrcus’ avatar should prove more than a match for them. This is the end.Good luck!
This is so asinine. The module creators (just like any DM) are susceptible to getting outplayed. That's life. The fact that they even feel the need to make this appeal shows their impotency, incredulity, and a lot of other "i" words I can think of. They could have done it honestly by giving Orcus divine ranks or epic spellcasting while strategically keeping enough XP out of the players' hands to prevent their own epic spellcasting. But no, they make a laughable attempt to encourage a DM to run what amounts to a fiat table. No dice, no fun, no tactics--just "I said so at the end of it all". The fact of the matter remains: they chose to keep his power at a certain level, and past level 17-18 there really is very little difference between one caster and another. And at those levels, combat typically hinges on a single round. You want to boo hoo about it? That's the d20 system, love it or hate it.