Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
I don't know what this peak Republic era provides them from a story-telling perspective outside of a fresh-er slate to work with. I mean, Star Wars isn't The Culture series, the fiddly and darker politics of the high point of space civilization doesn't seem to be in its wheelhouse.
That's true, broadly, but we've never seen it really try. There are basically zero Star Wars stories set in a period where the government is both strong and at peace. The politics could be interesting, especially when you throw in a strong and vibrant Jedi Order actually possessed of the resources to save the Republic from itself unlike the flailing and overstretched Jedi of the Prequels. I think it could work, if done well. Perhaps stories centered around some nominally independent cluster of space (Tion? Hapes?) that the Republic is trying to recruit to join the democracy while some other group (Hutts?) tries to prevent that in order to secure their criminal enterprises.

At the very least, this era does have the advantage of being almost totally wide open. There's no details in either continuity. Sure Yoda will be alive during it, and we're locked into Rule of Two Sith, but other than that pretty much anything is possible. If they get someone willing to put in the world-building effort, then it could be great. Unfortunately the Disney record on that point is very mixed so far.