1. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 5th DLC Smash character revealed-Byleth!!!

I am very happy about this one. Very surprised, since everyone else in the Fighter Pass was a third-party guest, and I expected, since we were told everyone for that was decided before the game came out, that if Byleth got added it would be in the second DLC wave, but still, very happy.

They did a damn good job on her, too. Byleth's the best FE protagonist to incorporate such a variety of weapons with, since not only can you pretty freely class-change in Three Houses, but you can use any weapon regardless of what class you're in. (Though it's a touch ironic that Byleth actually shouldn't be able to use the Relics specifically, other than the Sword of the Creator, due to not having the right Crests, but eh, it's cooler to give her the house leads' special weapons than just any random lance, axe, and bow.) The alternate color schemes are just perfect too - default male and female, story-based alternate look for each, plus alts for each house leader and Sothis; I love them all. I'll probably use the Edelgard and Claude colors a lot in particular. And my gods, the stage is fantastic. I've always loved Delphino Plaza style stages that move you between different parts, and Garreg Mach was a great one to do that way.

I do find myself in the awkward position of kind of regretting not buying the full pass, though. In the end, I'll wind up buying four of the five characters individually, since everyone but Terry was someone I'm a fan of. While I technically save money doing so, I could have had Terry for effectively just a dollar if I'd bought the pass, which would be worth it to have his stage and try him and see if I like how he plays despite having no attachment to him as a character. But that seemed so unlikely when the DLC was first announced, given I was only interested in about half of the Smash 4 DLC, and since they don't announce things much in advance I really can't make an informed decision on whether the full pass is worth it or not until much too late.

Speaking of though, six more characters for the next pass, awesome. My one hope at this point is Dante, really want him for the Dante vs Bayonetta dream fight. If I were the betting type, I'd wager we'll see Waluigi in there, after the stink was raised over him before the game came out. I kind of want to hope for other assist trophy promotions too (particularly Isaac), but feel like I have to expect mostly more third-party guests, given how the first Fighter Pass went.

Also, I'm not the only one who thinks it's weird that the Assassin's Creed Mii outfit we got was Altair rather than Ezio, right? I half wonder whether that might mean that Ezio is on the docket for Fighter Pass 2... except then I'm not sure why they wouldn't save the Altair costume to release with him, so eh, maybe just a weird choice.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2020-01-16 at 08:14 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis