1. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock, Revised (Massive Revision of Boons and features)

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Sure if you want to min/max the system. I prefer a more natural themed approach.

What makes sense for the theme not what damage type is the least resisted/immune.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    And that’s fine-but your way is not the only way. A fluffy option that’s mechanically weak will be picked rarely, if at all, meaning it’s wasted text.
    I actually tried to do both.

I considered the standing of each patron and matched them with elements that balanced out.

The Undying (now Tormented) would be very strong and aggressive compared to the rest, so it got the weakest EB. Coincidentally, it has a powerful feature that scales with damage, which is hard to abuse with a heavily-resisted damage type. Even considering the poison, would someone pick it? I like to think so.

Archfey doesn't have much damage in its features, and so got a fairly universal element (Acid).

Similarly, Wizard schools are matched up with an inversely powerful magic type. Divination is the weakest magic type, yet has some of the most powerful features. Transmutation is the most versatile of the magic types for Wizard, yet the school provides hardly any combat benefit. As a result, all of the Wizard schools are "even". I tried to follow that practice, so that every Patron is a difficult choice to make. That way, making a choice is mostly dependent on what kind of option fits your concept, rather than one providing a strictly mechanical increment.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-02-28 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!