1. - Top - End - #1128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

Quote Originally Posted by bendking View Post
    Awesome post! You convinced me to give Sorcadin a try. I wasn't sure about it because I always thought it would be kind of meh until you get to level 10+, but your post made me realize it would still be fun at each level.
    Paladins levels 1 through 6/7 are one of the best low-level builds in the game. And Sorcerer level 1 and 2, while they're rough levels for a Sorlock, interact with 5E D&D multiclassing math in a fun way to make them stronger than it appeals. It's not like Rogue or Battlemaster Fighter where you'll peak early and reach a plateau, or like Valor Bard or Sorlock where you will need quite a few levels before your build comes online. Sorceradin starts strong and stays strong, with your relative weakest levels being Paladin 4 and Sorcerer 2. And even then, those levels aren't exactly weak, they're just B-tier levels on a character where -- without exaggeration -- every other level is A-tier or S-tier. You trade very slightly less raw power in the mid-game compared for a huge amount of power and versatility from then on.

Let's take a look at what the first 10 levels will look like for you. Unless you rolled like a Greek God and plan to roll DEXadin, I recommend starting out with Paladin. You get a couple extra hit points and, more importantly, heavy armor proficiency. CON/CHA v. CHA/WIS is something of a wash: they're both equally useful. And if you're rolling with a two-handed weapon you should definitely take Resilient: CON anyway. I also recommend staying as a Paladin. The beauty of the build is that even if you never get past level 6, paladin is just an OMG strong class from the word go. Something like Pal 3 / Sorcerer 3 is downright painful to play, even with short workdays; the tricks Sorcerer brings to the table, other than Shield and Absorb Elements, aren't that great until the higher levels anyway. You'll miss having Extra Attack and Aura of Protection much more than being able to have Quickened Booming Blade.

Paladin:
    Level 1: This is your weakest level and it's still above-average compared to other classes. You get full armor and weapon proficiency (a big deal at low level), a juicy 10 hit points, and Divine Sense and Lay on Hands. Do not discount Lay on Hands, popping people from zero hit points is very difficult to do at low level.
    Level 2: Doozy of a level. You get great spells like Bless, Wrathful Smite, and Protection from Evil and good. You get Smite (not all that useful now, but build-defining later) and a Fighting Style.
    Level 3: This level is a honey of one, if you have a Sacred Oath that gives either good spells or a good Channel Divinity. Or if you're something like Oath of Vengeance or Devotion, both. Even if you picked a weaker oath like Oath of the Crown it's still an extra spell slot, so another extra Bless.
    Level 4: ASI time. Paladins are MAD, so this will help immensely. This is probably your weakest level in terms of power acquisition, but it's a weak level for almost everyone.
    Level 5: Extra attack time! Huge offense increase. And second-level spell slot. Oh, and if you have an Oath with a good spell list like Oath of Vengeance it's even better.
    Level 6: Three additional spell slots would make this level sweet enough on its own, but it comes with Aura of Protection, i.e. probably the best class feature in the game that isn't outright broken like Illusory Reality.
    Level 7: I usually bail out at level 6, but if you're rolling something like Oath of the Ancients or Oath of Conquest it's another amazing level.

Sorcerer:
    Level 1: This level comes with a number of subtle goodies to make it surprisingly decent (certainly better than Paladin level 4) despite its inauspicious start. 4 cantrips are always really nice to have. If you have a good Sorcerous origin like Divine Soul or even Wild Sorcerer, you have that. But the big benefit of this level is getting access to Absorb Elements and Shield. These are enormous durability increases that turn you from 'tough' to 'all-around toughest build in the game'.
    Level 2: First: Font of Magic is a huger deal for this build than you think. Not at this level (though the extra 1st-level spell slot is nice) but as time goes on. You will burn through sorcery points quickly and because you have paladin levels you will have unused high-level spell slots. You could use them on smites, or you could use them to upcast certain paladin spells, but I like using them for more metamagic, more! The real money is the extra two 3rd-level slots. I like to spend them on Aid.
    Level 3: Metamagic. Need I say more? Well, okay, I'll say a little bit.
    Subtle Spell is just awesome. Not worrying about Counterspell (or having your Counterspell counterspelled in two levels) is worth the price of admission. Being able to cast in challenging environments like, oh, thrown into a Watery Sphere or while hanging onto a dragon is also awesome. And if you're investing into things like But my favorite use, if you're a Divine Soul sorcerer, is combining it with Silence.
    Twin Spell: Another great metamagic effect. Twin Protection from Evil and Good or Sanctuary will make you friends faster than a 30 CHA score. Or even Twin Protection from Evil and Good. If you have a decent save DC, it makes spells like Phantasmal Force that much better.
    Heighten Spell: Again, very good. There are a number of spells you'll be getting that are a total shutdown if you can bypass the first saving throw, like Suggestion or Wrathful Smite. If I had access to an OMG tier magic item like a Staff of the Magi (i.e. I was playing in Adventurer's League) I'd definitely pick this as my second.
    Level 4: It's an ASI level, so you'd think it'd be weak. But there are two subtle quirks of 5E D&D math that make it very good. You get a 4th-level spell slot and a 4th sorcery point. That 4th point makes it so that you can use Quicken Spell twice in a fight without having to spend a bonus action to recharge. This is the level when you'll start being subject to bonus action clog, if you're not already experiencing it, so it's very helpful.

Past level 10, it only looks better and better. You think being able to drop a Quicken Spell on a Blur is good? Wait until you get Haste or Greater Invisibility. You gain more than enough sorcery points and spell slots to smite like a madman. And sorcerers also get some amazing defensive options like Counterspell and Fly -- and if you're a Divine Soul Sorcerer, Silence and even Death Ward (!) are on the table. But don't fool yourself, Sorceradin is strong from the word 'go' if you balance your levels right.
    Last edited by Deathtongue; 2020-02-29 at 08:13 PM.