View Single Post

Thread: Ultimate Optimizer's Multiclassing Guide

1. - Top - End - #581

Default Re: Ultimate Optimizer's Multiclassing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
    Except the sorlock would just cast fireball.
    So we agree--Quickened Eldritch Blast isn't actually very good except in single-target scenarios.

And a 9th+ level Artillerist can flamethrower (3d8) + detonate (3d8) for about the same damage as Fireball, but at the cost of a 1st level slot instead of 3rd.

Yes, Sorlocks have more spell slots than Artificers do. But Artificers have more spells (access to the entire spell list including niche spells that a Sorcerer can't afford to learn, like Fabricate), and are arguably better at support especially at low levels (again, Protection turret is fantastic).

They're both good in different ways.

What if the artificer instead never dipped warlock? He'd have 20 int (not to mention better con & dex), enhanced arcane focus (+11 to hit), and arcane firearm making his firebolt (2d10+1d8) hit 65% of the time and crit 5% of the time averaging 11.625 damage against the orogs, better than the EB.
    This is wrong. If we're assuming Enhanced Arcane Focus for the Artificer, Fire Bolt is 11.63 and EB is 2x +9 to hit for 1d10+4 per hit = is 11.95 (plus Repelling). Agonizing Repelling EB is still better than Fire Bolt. Next level EB's advantage will increase because it will also get a +2 focus and 3 beams, vs only +1d10 for Fire Bolt: EB will do 21.30 (plus more Repelling) and Fire Bolt on the pure Int 20 Artificer will do 15.75.

The big tragedy of this comparison is it that since the turret us doing nearly 80% of the work, the warlock dip is actually hurting the artificer.
    IN THAT SCENARIO. The warlock dip is buying you versatility and control, so that you're good both against mobs and against single targets. Otherwise you have a strong bonus action as an Artillerist and only a weak cantrip for a standard action. The warlock dip also buys you short-rest spell slots to have your turret up more often.

It's more optimal w/rt for versatility and high average effectiveness across all situations, instead of optimal w/rt peak performance in ideal scenarios.

Obligatory weigh in regarding Artificer/Warlock:

This is a neat concept, and would be tricky due to MADness. Ultimately, I have a hard time calling something optimal when another multiclass combination can already can the same thing (or better) at less cost. If we are looking at great ways to make EB users do something with their bonus actions, sadly the artificer/warlock can never compete with a sorlock (I know blech). There is no turret to kill, and while it may use slightly more resources (SP) in a protracted fight, it'll far outpace that turret damage by doing another quickened EB, all while being SAD.
    You've so narrowly defined the goal that it's missing the larger picture. The character as a whole is significantly weaker. 16 & 18 int and cha is generous. What does that leave dex and con? You can squeeze 14s with the right races, but no variant human. What's his spell toolkit like? Significantly weaker.
    My goal is not to show that Artillerist/warlock is better than sorlock in all ways and in all situations. Of course it's not. My goal is to provide good discussion so people can make informed tradeoffs while playing the game.

If someone wants to play an Artillerist, telling them to play a sorlock instead is not very helpful.

At this point I'm not even trying to persuade you to change the colors in your guide, I just want it on the record that it isn't true that "the artificer/warlock can never compete with a sorlock". Now it's on the record so I'm done.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-03-28 at 02:47 PM.