Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
What bombs?

My point was that the early game gives you no tools and then expects you to still be able to kill enemies, whereas without any melee weapons or arrows and with only the magnesia spell that was a bit of a problem.

Like, I'm sure it gets better somewhat one you have bombs, but I didn't.

And yes, they could have started you put with a basic axe, spear, or whatever, made giving it an upgrade part of the 'leave the starting area' quest of they wanted to give it an upgrade system, put a couple of additional weapons in the plot path, and used the open world to hide yet more weapons behind various challenges. If they really wanted weapon durability it should be something like Dark Souls, you lose your weapons of you for the better part of an area without a repair (and even in Dark Souls one of the first things I did was get the item that allowed you to repair at bonfires).
You're not understanding the purpose durability is meant to serve here. The entire game after the opening plateau is non-linear - you can do the rest of the game including the final boss in any order. Some areas are more difficult than others, and consequently give greater rewards, but you can go there. Weapons breaking was put in so that if you run to the end dungeon, kite around, and walk out with the best weapons in the game you aren't obsoleting all of the other content and thus killing all reward and desire to explore. Your proposed solutions would not do that.

It doesn't take long until you can keep an arsenal. After the tutorial area, I had maybe three occasions -all while fighting super-tough challenge enemies- where I ran out of weapons completely. All the fixed overworld weapons respawn every Blood Moon, so you can just mark all the nice ones and pick them up periodically.