Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
She follows this up with a grin and smug look. "Well, who says you've escaped slavery?" She lets that hang for a moment, then dismisses the thought with a wave of her claw. "But no. I prefer servants. They're more loyal and better treated. Also, they receive compensation for their loyal and obedient service." She emphasizes those two words. "And get to bask in my magnificent presence whenever they want, of course."
"Uh..." the male seems to connect two-and-two and now seems a little less confident. "Well, basking seems like a good thing?"

"We can definitely work for you, great one," the female chimes in. "Elders tell us that we are descendants of great dragons, and they were once the rulers of our mountain. Your offer is much fair compared to toiling in the fields for a human who cares little of our needs."

"Were there any others captured?" she asks.
"No, they fled or were killed. We were the only two unlucky ones."

She smirks at him. "I assure you, however long it is, it's not long enough."
The male kobold seems to blush with a bit of embarrassment, avoiding eye contact for the moment. The female just shakes her head.

They both seem more at ease now that they know they won't be eaten.

And there it is. Proof that Spiriah let herself be captured. Chaarix's eyes narrow. "Yes. Yes, I would very much like to meet her. Is she being sold too, like you were?" Her tone is bitter now. Angry. Static crackles around the edge of her maw. "Human lords gawking at her, planning to turn her into a pet or a--"

She stops. Lords. That's the answer. The lords held the power. A human with that title seemed to be able to do whatever he wanted to whoever he wanted, and yet he was still a human. A thrill goes through her. Now, imagine what a dragon could do with that title? "...Tell me," she says softly, "How do humans become lords?"
"No, not to be sold or made a pet. Not gawked at either. The lord of this city keeps her hidden in a big chamber within his castle," the female answers. "In my failed attempt to escape, I happened to see her. She is in fair condition, but I do not know anything beyond that."

"Humans are made lords by a blessing from a king as I understand it," the male explains. "I do not know how one qualifies for this blessing. Seems arbitrary."