View Single Post

Thread: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

1. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    This is a tough sell to me. A core conceit of 3.5e psionics is that you have power points and you spend them across the day. Temporary PP is a legit mechanic, but I don't think it should be a central mechanic.
    In that light, IMO, it makes a great deal of sense insofar as part of ToB's shtick is moving away from per-day and instead balancing around indefinitely repeatable use. The idea is that these temporary pp could ONLY be used to augment maneuvers, so it's not completely changing the psionics system the way it would be otherwise -- it's really more like an internal token system for the discipline itself that happens to crossover with extra benefits for psionic characters.

Stance pp drips are also a better solution because they require more buy-in -- a stance is a significant investment for a martial adept -- but in exchange for the bigger buy-in they let you use the system in a more functional way if you are not a psionic gish (5 pp per day at, say, level 18 is just not very functional or exciting).

That said, it seems like an important ability for the psywarrior variant class would be letting temp pp drips from SG stances be used for normal psionic powers, perhaps for 1 minute per day or something.

And the psywar would presumably have its own normal daily store of pp -- either solely for use with maneuvers, or to split between maneuvers and psionic casting.

I don't think it resonated with people. It's futuristic, it sounds like it's 5e, and it doesn't really sound like a discipline. If you're interested in the 5e fighter archetype, you may be able to request in the Request a Homebrew thread. Or just brew it yourself and solicit feedback.
    You're free to take a stab at writing it yourself, though. The way it would fit into this project is as a warblade variant class.

On that note:

I copied over Garryl's clockwork warrior as a crusader variant.

While I'm not sure how well it would actually perform, I think the idea behind this class variant is great. It takes the two big class mechanics (granted maneuvers and steely resolve) and puts a twist on them.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see done for the warblade and swordsage. Warblade is hard though, because its class features are pretty generic.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-06-11 at 09:02 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ