View Single Post

Thread: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

1. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

In that light, IMO, it makes a great deal of sense insofar as part of ToB's shtick is moving away from per-day and instead balancing around indefinitely repeatable use. The idea is that these temporary pp could ONLY be used to augment maneuvers, so it's not completely changing the psionics system the way it would be otherwise -- it's really more like an internal token system for the discipline itself that happens to crossover with extra benefits for psionic characters.
    But isn't the point of the crossover to cross the two components over? A per-round mechanic sounds a lot more like essentia or a whole new subsystem, especially if you're making it only usable for maneuvers.

I also think "more interesting" is pretty subjective. My question is: What does a player want when they pick up a Psionic discipline?
    • Is it to have psychic themed powers? Then we don't really need a subsystem. Give em Mental Grip.
    • Is it to play a martial gish? Then I don't think we should make them sit in 1 discipline's stance to play optimally
    • Is it to abuse the resource system for free cheap powers all the time? Then don't limit the PP.

The only place I see your suggested subsystem being useful is if people want extra rules for their initiator, and also happen to want to play a psionic discipline. That doesn't seem very well-targeted to me. I know I wouldn't enjoy it, because it sounds annoying to track.

I actually like ErrantX's choice to give most of the PP based on the highest maneuver known and have them scale less with level.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2020-06-11 at 09:44 PM.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.