"Well, reputation does have its advantages" thinks Arimart, both satisfied and a bit flattered by the words of his companions, even if he knows that they come from deception.

As Clervec answers, making his counter offer, the paladin thinks about the situation. He is growing wary of those smugglers, but they didn't attack him, and looking at them, he can understand their need for something tangible. He reaches for his equipment and takes a metallic helm he kept on his back, as it was some kind of funky bowl.

"Sadly I had a chart full of gold right back there in the sewers, but it broke a wheel!" He answers with a smile, while showing the helm.
"I can give you this as a collateral. It is a rare item, which I counted on a lot in the past. Even if used, I'm sure its value is still around what you ask for. I'll live it here to you as a deposit, and come back when everything's over with the money you wanted. Now, if you think that my equipment is more tangible than my word. Can we see your guest?"

Spoiler: Spoilered spoils
Show

Arimart offers his Helm of Comprehend Languages as a deposit.

Those bandits better accept, or he's going to lose patience!