Quote Originally Posted by Lycan999 View Post
Why do I have to make it clear in my campaign that you can't kill goblins because they are goblins? In OOTSverse goblins are rational creatures and moral actors capable of making ethical decisions with the same degree of freedom that humans are. The Giant has essentially made it clear that "racial alignments" in his world are due to wide reaching cultural factors and it is possible for individuals to go against the grain.
But it is perfectly possible for other worlds/campaign settings to have species, even humanoid ones, that do not have the same degree of moral freedom that humans have.[/QUOTE]

If you ask me, no, you should not have to "make it clear in my campaign that you can't kill goblins because they are goblins".

But I think it is fair to say that if random new players were sitting at the table with you, saying this out loud would be a very helpful thing. That is where we are; and it is best to acknowledge where we really are first, and work from there.

But it is perfectly possible for other worlds/campaign settings to have species, even humanoid ones, that do not have the same degree of moral freedom that humans have.
True. That certain creatures do not have the same kind of volition as Humans is perfectly plausible in a magical world. Being explicit about this is a good idea.