1. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

I feel like we're always pretty relaxed about what "counts" for meeting the theme. I'm a little worried people are going to get hung up on "choose x amount of features from this long list of features" (like spellcasting, maneuvers, infusions, invocations, etc) but that's not how I read the theme. Psi dice (both as presented in UA and in print) would be a subsystem. I would argue that a paladin's "smite" could even be considered a subsystem considering that warlocks got their own version of it.

Tipping my hand a little, I'm working on a monk subclass that can enter a "stance" which comes with bonuses and penalties. Each turn he can go deeper into his stance and the bonuses and penalties increase. That's kind of it, that's what I'm planning. The new subsystem is "stances" and in theory any subclass might have a stance or stances they can enter and deepen in the same way. Stances are mutually exclusive, and you must exit one stance before you enter another. This monk just has the one stance, but there's not a reason another monk (or fighter or rogue or whatever else) couldn't have one or more stances of their own.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2020-12-22 at 12:40 AM.