View Single Post

Thread: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

1. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    How to feel towards Tony is complicated. On the one hand, why is the way he is easy to understand. The why part is easy to forgive. But, the harm he's done is very real and the injuries go deep.

Generally, I've accepted the root fact that he is doing the best he can. Maybe, if he could get some kind of help, he could do better. But, it's not clear what kind of help he needs or what kind exists in this world. Do counselors even exist in this world? If a school counselor ever showed up, what species and how terrifying would he/she/they/it be? (This is Gunnerkrigg. An entity that can only be correctly referred to as "It" is a very real possibility. Like Antimony said, everyone's afraid of clowns. . . .)

As a metaphor, the cage raises his problems to a new level.

But, is it a metaphor? I've been accepting Tony as damaged or lacking basic skills or related, normal problems. What if there's more to it than that? What if some part of him is literally in a cage inside his own mind?
    It's probably a metaphor insofar as we are aware, but it may well be literal. But it's a moot point.
    Think of the ether; is there any real distinction between a ghost that's the amalgamation of ether with the mind, knowledge, appearance and personality of someone versus their actual spirit?

Regardless, we probably won't get a story arc with Tony's mind literally being freed. He has his problems; he's trying his best, still failing, but he can't escape them with a magical adventure. I imagine he will reconcile with Annie, but he isn't a character who exists to have his problems fixed.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-04-29 at 12:04 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad