Sargon

"It's complicated," Sargon said. "Even chaos reavers need gellar fields, when they travel the warp proper. Warp storms are... not that. I admit I have never done a great deal of study on the precise distinction, but there is a difference between the warp, and areas where the warp intrudes on the materium."

It seemed this was an area, finally, where Echo's prisoner didn't have all the answers.

Dinner Party

"There is, actually," Sans frowned. "I'm not sure why, or what they're planning."

He didn't want to talk about it, much, and was happy to proceed with Macharius' toast and get down to dinner.

The Rumour Mill

Anika's overtures to the Kasballica returned quickly. Malfi was relatively nearby, and her friends remembered her fondly enough. As it happened, Quinn's ship had passed through the system recently, and he'd made some property purchases before continuing on. Unfortunately real-estate speculation wasn't exactly a smoking gun, but his next destination had been Vaxanide. While that world did have legitimate industries, it was a little out of the way unless you were already heading Spinward, and its chequered past spoke of other, less savoury opportunities as well.

Her overtures to her mother, meanwhile, would take at least a day or two more to return. Scintilla was nearly twice as far as Malfi, and there was no telling how busy Lady Irina would be.

Meeting Lorik

As it turned out, though, it took a few days to set up the meeting with Lorik anyways. The initial messages were returned with a request that they please go through the proper channels to set up a meeting. This turned out to involve contacting Lorik's secretary, and filling out several forms. Teresa proved invaluable, running off the paperwork quickly and efficiently, but it still took time to get things stamped and validated and sent off for approval and re-approval. Eventually, Lorik agreed to give them exactly one hour, starting at third bell of the afternoon. By this time, Anika's response from Lady Irina had arrived.

Spoiler: Anika
Show
Anika,

I've heard of Lorik, and never from anyone with anything good to say. He's part of one of Lord Hax's special initiatives, and I believe he chose the Port Wander posting. One might have expected something it to be a punishment of sorts, given the location and volume of traffic, but I think Lorik actually likes it out there. Emperor only knows why.

I'll see what I can do with getting you some papers from Hax, or something to that effect. At very least, you might be able to find a way to expedite his searches. Perhaps it would have been beneficial to pay more attention to your tutors in that respect, though I digress. The fastest method may be to show him you're willing to cooperate, and provide anything he asks for in terms of records as quickly as you can. Go prepared.

-Lady Irina Vanhal

Mordechai Lorik's office was cramped, and packed with writing supplies. There were zero concessions made to sentimentality or personality - everything was functional. The desk was spacious, but utilitarian. The walls were primarily given over to shelving units and filing cabinets. A cogitator bank with data cables running to a personal terminal on the desk occupied a nook between two of the cabinets, and a pneumatic message tube extended from the ceiling to a receiving alcove on the right. In front of the desk, Lorik had placed exactly enough uncomfortable metal chairs for Macharius and the number of scheduled associates assigned on Form 12B: Request for Meeting (Administrative Purposes). He himself occupied an only slightly more comfortable chair behind the desk, and did not rise to greet them when they entered.

Lorik was thin, with inkstained hands, his robes hanging from an emaciated frame. He was old, his pinched face and bald head bearing the signs of the juvenat treatments that had extended his life very near to its limit. His left eye had been replaced with an augmetic, wires trailing from cranial plugs to vanish into his robes. On his wrist was a simple brass chronometer, which he raised to examine while they seated themselves.

"You have been admitted early to allow for seating and pleasantries," he said, in lieu of greeting. His voice was dry and papery, like two sheets of parchment rubbing together. "The meeting will commence in two minutes. I suggest you use the time wisely."