A little while later team Sprocket was all signed up. The remaining artificers looking for companions had all clumped together, and the plaza had gotten a lot busier. The stands where getting pretty crowded with on-lookers, and the clock was ticking ever closer to the starting time.

"Can I have your attention please?" A loud voice calls out across the plaza. A tall man with ginger hair, likely Glenn, though it's hard to tell at this distance has taken a position on a podium in front of the massive illusory black box. The way his voice carries despite the distance suggests that there is likely some magic involved. "It's still a couple minutes to the official start of the competition, but it seems all competitors have arrived by now, so I won't begrudge you an extra minute or two to work. All of you should have been informed of the rules during sign-ups, but if anyone is left with questions, you can come find me later."

"Now, today's competition was inspired by the recent troubles in the Stormdrains district. Your goal will be as follows: design an apparatus using the materials provided by us to filter raw sewage back into drinkable water!" Glenn pauses a moment as the crowd reacts with a mix of cheers, good-natured curses and groans. "Before someone asks, we've got some alchemical powders to test the water with, so no need for taste-testing." Some laughter follows Glenn's assurance, and the lets it die out before continuing. "And now, for the second part of the reveal." He raises his right hand and snaps his finger, the sound amplified by the same magic that amplifies his voice.

The big illusory box disappears revealing a rickety wooden construction behind him. It roughly resembles a ship that has been dashed on the rocks, its belly rent and torn. The ships aft-castle, masts and sails can still be identified, but the construction appears rickety enough that it was likely build up here in the plaza, rather than being a real ship that was moved here, something that would have been pretty much impossible for an object that size.

"I present to you, the wreck of the Marian, courtesy of the Streidekker and Sons shipyard! As you might know, this old ship sank in the harbor two months ago, and the Society had been able to buy it and get it moved here especially for this competition! Inside the hold you'll find a significant portion of its cargo, including a load of now waterlogged herbs and a variety of base metals that might have some useful properties for enchanting. I've also been informed that some of the sea-life still clinging to the hull might have be of interest to the alchemists among you. You're also welcome to use parts of the hull for your creations, but please disassemble it from the top down, as we don't want it to collapse!"

"Now then, that's it from me for now. Artificers, to your stations! You've got 8 hours to make your filtering apparatus. Best of luck to you all." Having said his piece, Glenn hops down from the podium, and the competition begins in earnest.