Professor Drake Shardstone

Drake sat quietly as the others spoke, again struck by the oddity of the group. The changeling (a fact that had gone unmentioned thus far) and the mage both departed, leaving behind the book that they had seemingly been as keen to understand as the rest of the group. That spoke volumes about the intent ... and left little doubt in the mind of the academic as to the intent - they obviously wished to speak alone, and the topic had nothing to do with alternative entrances for a familiar.

Arimart seemed uncomfortable, but given he was left with a relative unknown and two assassins, it was understandable. Of course, it brought to mind an old tale, the Story of the Silent Voice, where three prophets could see the future and would condemn those who would think of committing a crime. What would the constable do when presented with a magic mirror that would show him the untrusted agents of two Houses?

The couple, for all the trappings of their occupation, seemed the most straight forward. Devotion seemingly drove them, and they had been fairly consistent in their perspectives. Of course, their motivations were fairly selfish, but that didn't mean it wasn't refreshing to see such brutal honesty. However, assassins could be the world's best liars ...

Sighing inwardly, he waited for the group to finish their discussions. It seemed his warnings had fallen on deaf ears, which was par for the course, but Arano's sense of self-preservation won through with his final question. Without missing a beat, Drake answered him in quiet, measured tones, his eyes on the book.

"There are too many to list, but we can only speculate. As I told the others, this ... device ... is as powerful of a divination dweomer as I've ever seen ... moreso than the all-seing couatl we were blessed to be in the presence of earlier. It makes a connection with everyone in the world that bears the Mark of the Shadow, regardless of where they are, or if they are hidden by mystic means. It sees through all of that, connects to the mark ... to your blood.

It feels ... wrong. Created with palpable hate. I think it was created for more than simple tracking ... I think a savvy user could tap into the connection and affect the Marked. Perhaps even control them. Or kill them. You wish to know the risk of use? Everything from being linked to the Codex inextricably ... to death."

His eyes rose to connect with Arano's own gaze. "Fortunately, if we activate it here, you should be safe from any harmful effects. Presuming of course the creator doesn't have the ability to control the artifact from afar. My recommendation is that any use is limited, and done quickly. While it may be our primary way of finding this mysterious V, I still have reservations. Drackt fo drackt, klaza das klaza."
Spoiler: Dwarven
Show
'Night clings to night, evil knows evil,' a phrase that cautions about staring to long into the abyss ...

OOC - Okay, I said that and more ...
Spoiler: Status
Show
AC 14 HP 52 Init +2 Move 30’
Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
Spoiler: Spells
Show
Prepare 10 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd / 1-4th
0: guidance, thaumaturgy, toll the dead, mending
1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
2nd (x3): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
4th (x1): arcane eye, confusion, Leomund's secret chest, Mordenkainen's faithful hound divination, locate creature
Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor

Effects: 60’ darkvision