Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
Idk if it fits the theme but I had fun. The Magnificent Bastard is up and ready for PEACHes.
In my experience we are very loose with theme, but I'm struggling with this one. As is, if we were to vote on it right now, I'd say it doesn't fit. But if you provided your rationale or inspirations, I wouldn't make an issue of it.
Spoiler: My reasoning
Show
My understanding of the purpose of the theme is that they function as both writing prompt and very rough yardstick. It's hard enough asking someone to evaluate say martials vs casters (a common division within a theme), but to evaluate two things with very different design goals against each other is that much harder. So just throwing anything you think is a good idea into the contest isn't exactly fair.

It might be a great idea, but Protagonist the subclass vs "options intended to facilitate group/other's actions" is going to be a rough comparison.

On to critique-

Level 3- MADness is always a tough sell, I'd give them a proficiency option for Persuasion/Intimidation and let them add proficiency bonus instead. Weaker at the outset, likely stronger come level 5, overtaking the Shield spell at level 17.

"Asspull"- conceptually a solid ability. I've used similar mechanics myself for a hoard feature from a dragon patron and a "batman" subclass for a hero class. The aesthetic of literally placing things up one's gluteal division isn't doing it any favors though, no matter how cheeky you think it is, no one wants to climb a rope it looks like your PC pulled from their playdough not-so-fun-unless-you're-into-that factory.

Backstory reveal- fine

Perfect Defense- "the normal damage of the attack or effect is reduced to one d4. This only applies to the triggering attack." might work better than weapon dice. I'm not sure what weapon dice means with this feature when it's a crit and no clue what it means for something like scorching ray. I'd also cap this ability at Proficiency bonus/day.

Perfect Offense- Trap option from my perspective and kind of undermines the theme of this subclass. "Trade your core feature for another subclass' core feature" doesn't feel good and some maneuvers are crap and you aren't rolling dice so they won't double on a crit... This is a level 15 fighter feature. "When you make an attack that would miss you can treat the d20 as if it had rolled the minimum number to hit instead." or "When you hit a creature with an attack you can declare it a perfect strike. The target has vulnerability to the damage of this attack." either would be fine.

Relentless- "whenever you roll initiative with fewer than your maximum uses of Plot Armor, you gain one use." is better. Plot armor on its own isn't so great a single use is make or break and all the other features like that are unequivocally bad as written.