The screen cuts to a marker that reads "Miles Moore - Interview Highlights," then jumps to a shot of the interview room. The camera focuses on a young man who manages to look old. Despite having an unlined face, his high forehead and receding hairline make him look prematurely bald. An upward tilt to his head and a perpetual squint make him look myopic, and perhaps a little conceited.

[Interviewer] What's the last thing you remember from when you lived in Aighstone?

"The last memory I have of my mother ... it's just an image. We're walking away, I think Dad is carrying me. She's just watching us go, no waving, no crying, nothing. I remember a white dress. I don't think she wore dresses before she joined the Callers. Now she's wearing a very plain white dress.

"There's a tree beside her. Somehow I can't remember where we are - I'm guessing near the Caller's compound, but I don't remember what it looked like - but I can remember the tree. I remember it like a very big Christmas tree, just a big pointed conifer. Mom is ... is gone, but I'm betting that tree is still there. I'd like to find it."

[Interviewer] Is that why you decided to come back?

"Well, no. I didn't originally want to come here, to be honest. I know it probably seems like I've lived my life focusing on what happened with my mother, but it really hasn't been like that. Yes, I've got a Masters in History from SUNY Oneonta, with a focus on minority religions. But I'm in upstate New York, so that's not really surprising. A lot of minority religions started here; Seventh-Day Adventists, the Church of Latter-Day Saints, the Shakers really became the Shakers just outside of Albany.

"So, you know, it wasn't really a big drive in my life. My father and mother grew apart and split up when I was still a toddler; that's one of the most common stories you hear. When Panorama reached out to me, I was going to turn them down because I didn't really have anything to add. That memory I just told you is the only thing I have from her; Dad god rid of anything tangible when we moved to the States."

[Interviewer] What changed your mind?

"Well, it's nothing major. Just - well, my boyfriend is in the sciences. He's finishing up his PhD. One of the last steps for him is going on a research trip for a couple of months, which just happens to coincide with the time that Panorama wanted me to visit Aighstone. I could take them up on the offer, or stare at an empty apartment for the next month. My boyfriend said I should do it, said I'd go crazy by myself, and he's probably right.

"Then ... about the only thing I remember from Aighstone is one of my neighbors. There was a girl about my age, Caroline. We were playmates. After we moved away, we tried to keep in touch. We sent each other letters - you know, big pencil letters on big lined paper. I think I learned to write early so I could send letters to Caroline. We fell in and out of touch over the years, but she just wrote me a month ago. She'd found out about the Panorama program and asked if I was coming with it. She's still in Aighstone."