Spoiler: Cyphiri Union
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
The Kalan Company

Artan nods, taking a moment to ensure her thoughts are in order before continuing. "Well, I am sure you are aware of the political situation as it stands - your lands, the areas inhabited by the Union and Dashasham close by to each other, the Middish to the northwest, and these assorted other powers out to the west, with various other groups inbetween that we don't expect will cause many problems. Our concerns are not particularly focused around our immediate surroundings - the Middish are our allies, so if our hosts turn violent they will expose themselves to attack from the knights of the Ironkelp Order, and we're confident we can make arrangements with you that'll mean we won't need the Order's military assistance in this matter." She pauses. "Our concerns are further westwards - I'm sure it hasn't escaped the attentions of your scouts that several of those countries are building up armies, and what we've heard of their philosphies and natures are...alarming." She gestures with a tentacle in the direction the Otterian death priests took their sea goat sacrifice.

"If they were to turn their attentions eastwards, threatening us, that is where your services would be of interest to the Council Fund. We propose that we make an agreement to facilitate that possibility. For now, we propose simple non-interference and signs of goodwill. Some of our families are planning to expand southwards, into the unclaimed territory to our south and your west, so we will ensure they do not proceed, leaving the land free for your people to expand into, along with not getting involved in anything you have planned the people living south of you - pacifists, I gather?" The unspoken part of that proposition, that Roland is probably a savvy enough negotiator to pick up on, is that this would mean that any Kalan expansion would be directed away from Cyph-Arel. "As a further sign of goodwill, I suggest that our peoples take part in this exchange of technology - your Tails will find our techniques useful for their business, and I'm sure many Cyphiri families will have many ideas on how to make use of photospores - and we will work to get Kalan mercenaries more work within Cyph-Arel - nothing major, you understand, just the day-to-day affairs that our families require warriors for. However, should there be a significant offensive against one of us - the Cyphiri, Kalan, or Middish - the Council Fund will provide assistance, in wealth and supplies, towards any battles than ensue. By that point, the Union should have substantial enough coffers to cover all costs involved and then some, and naturally any enemy or neutral land taken in such warfare would be yours." Artan pauses again to show that was the end of her offer, before continuing. "Naturally, this is all preparing for a future that may not happen, and the Flowng Way has not given us any hints one way or the other, but I believe in being prepared. I suppose we could also apply similar terms if the Carral encounter a significant thread in their journeys further east. For now, all I really need to know is whether you'll accept the basic agreement - non-interference in each other's affairs unless one of us calls upon the others' services, the south of the region being left to you, and establishing an exchange in technology and a good working relationship - but an indication on whether our plan for if large-scale war comes is acceptable would be appreciated."

Spoiler
Show

To summarise what she's saying in more gamey terms:
  • The Cyphiri won't colonise 129, attack anywhere (not like they were going to) and if the people in 141 start making offers to act against the Kalan they won't have anything to do with it. The mercenaries in the Union part is just a fluff detail - Cyphiri families often hire mercenaries for the kind of things most groups would use their own muscle for, and the deal just means they'll be using Kalan mercs more often.
  • The Kalan won't attack the Cyphiri, of course.
  • If one of the western countries attacks the Kalan, Ironkelp Order or Cyphiri, the Cyphiri will start giving the Kalan treasure for the purpose of being used on battle rolls (exact rate depending on the circumstances), and maybe tech/TPs for techs in extreme situations. The Cyphiri won't support invasions of a western country that weren't started by the other side, though, but if the Kalan take some lands in the process of a war the other side started, that's fine by the Cyphiri.
  • The Lux-Glossian colonisation attempt and conversion to the Flowing Way wasn't addressed by Artan, since it seems the details of that are being discussed as they speak, but if it becomes relevant the Cyphiri stance is that they'd like the colony to be included in the deal on the same basis as the Ironkelp Order, given they're probably going to be faithful and allied to the Order.

Roland considers the deal carefully, furrowing his shell. "You do make a good offer, and I can certainly get behind an exchange of our techniques for peace. You've got enough of a border guard as well, so I can accept in principle your proposal. However, if you want my Claws on retainer for the future, I'll require a payment of some kind in advance, especially in a larger conflict. You're asking the Kalan to defend an expansive border and that doesn't come cheap."

He pauses for a second. "And well, I am sure you are aware, we will take the highest offer for our services in times of conflict. So I hope your fund will be larger than your enemies."
Spoiler: Costa Palacia
Show

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwander View Post
Tall and slender, the first of the sereia drifts into the reception among the discussions of trade. Dark violet hair and speckles adorn the pale figure, gauzy fins gliding with the current as she nods in polite greeting to each of the other delegations. Floating by her sides are two others, both more colorfully eye-catching. To the left, a shorter female with a fan of orange-gold hair and an equally impressive fan of lionfish fins, bright orange-on-white stripes from head to fin-tip. On the right, a slender masculine with lavender hair, pale skin contrasting with rich blue scales and accented with jeweled chains.

Where there is a break in the conversations, the central figure introduces the trio. "We represent the Costa of Palacia, to the west. I am Uschi Alverna. These are Veruha Mascerena," one hand waves to the striped sereia, while the other gestures to "Gaspar Peixoto.

"We thank you for your invitation, and the opportunity to meet with so many of our neighbors in these times of more open water. We hope that our people may contribute our part to this exchange of knowledge, in offering up some of the developments of our own talented in the arts of splice. These talents have aided our families in surviving the arduous changes to our seas, and perhaps in sharing may ease similar burdens from your own people."

Roland carefully ponders the words from Uschi. Grafting? He briefly converses with his captains, and confirms some of the information. A way of bringing severly wounded fighters back from the brink, or possibly layering shells? It was certainly something to consider further.

"That is certainly a wonderful gift." he says, quite bluntly in return. "My Claws would certainly appreciate this in the medical caves, so I suppose I could offer an exchange with some of our expertise in Photospores."

[
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler: Ironkelp
Show
QUOTE=Minescratcher;25426281]

The Kalan Company

Tolmach moved to follow Roland, but he halted in the water as the messenger approached, intending to give the commander sufficient space for privacy while still being able to observe. He watched the Tail with interest - speaking creatures smaller than the Middish were rare in his experience, but perhaps they served the Kalan Company in subterfuge and -

The Knight Commander's thoughts were interrupted by the realization of the messenger's words. His photophores flashed in amusement, but he chewed on his words until he could come up with something more... diplomatic... to say.

He settled on something simple. "Trouble, Commander? I've heard o' many strange creatures and beliefs in these waters, but I havenae heard tell o' pacifists here before."[/QUOTE]

Roland lets out an audible burst of bubbles of exasperation. "They have been a..bane of many a Captain's life recently." he relates, "surrounding our forts and demanding us to throw down our Claws and shells. Do not worry though, I will merely have to make the return trip quicker than expected. These pacifists would want to dissolve both our groups so please give them no heed if you encounter them, they are dangerous and subversive."

Very slowly, the Tail had moved out of the way and began incredibly nervously relaying a bit more information to the other Tails, trying not to look at the very annoyed Commander.

Spoiler: Sakura-Jin
Show
Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
So many strange people! And what were the Otters doing!? Oh, my! The Eccliarchs wouldn't care for that...

Other than the unfortunate sea goat incident, things were going well. A trader reported the Rain People had a line on a new supply of shells. While none of the people were lining up to follow Sakura-Do, there was no obvious hostility. Even the Otters seemed simply ignorant of the insult they had proffered.

Of the many gathered, the Pfilghol seemed the most likely converts, and the Rain People might actually be some manner of elemental, and thus, strictly speaking, unable to be saved. The others were either biologically or culturally unlikely to fit easily into Sakura-Do.

But now, for the big announcement! Marcion made a loud chime with their speaking-leg.

"We of the World Garden are pleases to meet all of our neighbors and share our technology and gifts with you all!

But today, just recently, I have been able to confirm a great new development! The Holy Divine Nacres have condescended to allow us to build a holdfast for them in Dashasham! We can now expect to be in regular contact with the very beings who gave The First Prophets the technology to create The World Garden!"

They waited for applause, which at least came in the form if chirping from the Hermit Crab attendants

The one sellclaw follower of the World Garden also gave out a few enthusiastic chirps, quickly followed by Roland and his Captains. They were guests after all, and it was good to be polite. But the information this provided had already paid for the trip. A new Holdfast? That meant without a doubt many opportunities, as well as obtaining their technologies. Oh yes, he'd have to trade the Kalans secrets on photospores, but with how quickly all the technology was propogating, being on the tip of the claw was what was needed.