1. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    My responses in bold so I didn't have to break up the quote.
    Thankyou again for your answers! I'll fix Battle Surge, I assumed it could include the caster as well.

UPDATE: I have also replaced Eldritch Flurry with a feature more in line with the standard levels of power (but keeping it as an optional feature, with a big disclaimer). Take a look at it if you want!

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    Feedback for the ones I hadn't gotten to before now.
    Thankyou for your feedbacks too!

Martial Magic
    How does this work with spells that don't affect creatures, like dancing lights?
    In the case of spells like dancing lights or wall of force, you cast them targeting one of the squares you can reach within Touch range, and then you can extend the spell's effects as you wish within the limits set by the spell's text. For example in the case of wall of force, the limit is only to create the panels contiguous to each other, while with dancing lights you can move the lights up to 60 feet with your bonus action. For further clarity, I could specify that Martial Magic only reduces range at cast time.

Spellcasting Focus
    I hadn't realized this wasn't already a part of Eldritch Knight. Definitely a good addition.
    Yes, I know. That's weird...

Battle Surge
    This feels like a fix to a problem you created for yourself by making every spell have a range of touch. It's cool to be able to center area of effect spells on yourself and avoid being hit by them, but it's less cool that you must center them on yourself.
    However, you couldn't cast them further than you can reach within Touch range, so it's more of a note of flavor that gives the feeling of the spell being "exploded" directly from your body, like a nova.

War Magic
    Being limited to cantrips with spell attack rolls limits this much more than the original feature. Still fun, but less flexible.
    Yes, nothing more, nothing less. All aimed at giving the spells the feeling of a maneuver.

Eldritch Flurry
    That's a lot of extra damage. Combine this with something like fire bolt and you're suddenly doing equivalent damage to a Battle Master at will. I'm struggling to see what this adds to the subclass besides more power.
    The idea was to find an alternative for the original War Magic, which would allow to overcome the slow spell slots progression of the EK, transforming all the cantrip with spell attack rolls into a sort of Eldritch Blast. The result is far too strong, but I liked the mechanics so much that I decided to leave it as an optional feature, adding a big disclaimer. I'm not ruling out that I could recycle it for a Warlock subclass! ^^

Eldritch Strike
    This is a better version of the original feature. Can you elaborate on why this was necessary? I don't think I understand what was wrong with the standard feature that you felt it needed improving.
    Again, it's all about giving even more of the feel of maneuver-like spells

Arcane Riposte
    What does "deflect an attack using a spell with a casting time of a reaction" mean? I feel like this is specifically meant to be used with shield and if that is the case, I think it would be simpler to say "if you use shield" instead.

I'll also note that in order to counterspell you now have to be in touch range of the person casting the spell, which makes it harder to cast.
    Yes, this feature is triggered with counterspell and shield (for example, absorb elements doesn't work with it). I have not explicitly specified these two spells because I want to leave room to possible new spells, official or homebrewed.

Improved Eldritch Strike
    What does this mean? Does this allow you to do something like cast fire bolt and burning hands as part of the same action?
    I don't understand where this misunderstanding comes from. O_o
    This feature simply allows you to consider the Eldritch Strike's attack roll you make before casting a spell as if it were a spell attack roll, and therefore convertible into a melee attack via Weapon Bond. Basically, it allows you to make a melee attack even if the spell doesn't originally have a spell attack roll, or one more if the spell has fewer spell attack rolls than the number of attacks you can make during an Attack action, but you can't convert it to a cantrip using War Magic since you're not making an Attack action.

Overall Impression
    I can't help but feel like this is a more complicated version of the paladin. It's got the same basic structure of attacking and using a spell slot for more damage. There are certainly differences, but it treads similar ground.
    I tend to see it more as an alternative to the Battlemaster, with more versatility given by the Wizard's spells. Indeed it may seem complicated at first glance, but from what is my experience with the original class from which I took part of the features, I assure you that 5 minutes are enough to get used to the mechanics. ^^
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2022-04-25 at 03:54 AM.