1. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable.

I'm getting tired of people saying that a "stick-figure comic" shouldn't be taken at least as seriously as a book or a movie. Comics aren't just the Sunday funnies anymore, you know--many serious stories have been told in graphic-novel form. OotS has grown from mainly humor to a serious story with a lot of humorous moments in it, and it deserves to be taken seriously.
    When I said that people took Paladin-killing too seriously I was saying that in reference to people comparing it to cop-killing (hell, in the main thread someone compared it to Auschwitz). THAT is taking it too seriously. Mourning the loss of the SG? Sure, that's cool. Complaining about the author because the story didn't go the way you wanted and threatening to not read the comic anymore? That's just silly.

That said, I think the fans of this comic act a little oddly. The Paladins didn't have names. They were extras! They were classic red shirts! I don't know if it's because people are in love with the Paladin class or because every single minor character that appears in the comic seems to manage to get its own personal fanclub or because the whole thing upset the rulemongers (Perhaps it's all three), but the massacre of a bunch of nameless 'elite' guys by the Big Bad in a fantasy setting should NOT come as a surprise to anyone remotely familiar with the genre.

Edit:

If anyone's accusing Rich of being a murderer I missed it, but I begin to have the sinking feeling that he does have a grudge against the paladin class for whatever reason.
    The only bad Paladin we've had is Miko. The rest of the Paladins have all been decent folks. If Rich actually disliked Paladins, I think he'd not have made a whole city of the things.

It's silly to think that just because you're a Paladin you deserve to die heroically. If you aren't strong enough then, regardless of how holy and upstanding you are, you're still going to be humiliated and massacred by the immensely powerful Lich.
    Last edited by Grasilich; 2007-05-06 at 01:30 PM.