Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
My personal thought is that having uneven paperwork depending on how they do their job is a problem. Frankly I think that any time they have to do something stressful on their shift they should have the same amount of paperwork. So "tripped the reactor by accident and catch it on the way down" should have the same amount of paperwork as "tripped the reactor by accident, shut it down all the way, and brought the spare online". Then you actually see how common "repairman turned off the wrong box and tripped the reactor" actually is and you can do improvements to make it less common. You don't have engineers who are primed to neglect reporting problems because it just makes more work than fixing the problem the sneaky way.
That isn't itself the problem though. Reactors are finicky.

During a planned decrease of reactor power in preparation for the test, the power output unexpectedly dropped to near-zero. The operators were unable to restore the power level specified by the test program, which put the reactor in an unstable condition.
I expect the day will be saved, but I think it will get risky before that happens.