1. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Darths & Droids VI: Thread title will appear here when received

"Corellian" - and thus the implied concept of a "Corellia" - first appeared in Star Wars in A New Hope, when Han boasted that "I've outrun Imperial starships - not the local bulk cruisers, mind you; I'm talking about the big Corellian ships, now" while he and Obi-Wan were discussing passage to Alderaan in the Mos Eisley cantina. I don't recall if Han himself was ever identified as being Corellian in the Original Trilogy, but he was certainly accepted as such in the EU very early on.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Also, a "Corellian Corvette" was a popular vessel, don't remember where it was used in the movies but I think it was.
    The term "Corellian corvette" was not to my recollection used in the movies. However, "Corellian Corvette" is one of the more common names that EU material (particularly older EU material, though that may also describe the type of ship as a "Rebel Blockade Runner;" more recent EU material might use some part of "Corellian Engineering Corporation CR90 Corvette" instead) applied to the type of ship which carried Princess Leia in the opening scene of A New Hope; at least one more such vessel appears in Return of the Jedi as part of the Rebel fleet attacking the Death Star at Endor. Tantive IV, the specific corvette featured in A New Hope, reappears at the end of Rogue One and - apparently, despite Darth Vader ordering its destruction during the events of A New Hope - as part of the fleet that shows up to attack Exegol at the end of The Rise of Skywalker.

The films contain at least two other types of ship, both featured in the Prequel Trilogy, which could fairly reasonably be referred to as "Corellian Corvettes" but which usually aren't what is meant when that term is used:
    - Most reasonably, the Corellian Engineering Corporation CR70 Corvette, a predecessor of the CR90, which featured as Senator Bail Organa's personal starship at the end of Revenge of the Sith.
    - Slightly less reasonably, the Corellian Engineering Corporation Consular-class Cruiser, sometimes also called a "Republic Cruiser," which featured as the type of ship which carried Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi to the Trade Federation command ship over Naboo. This type of ship is canonically unarmed in the standard pre-Clone Wars configuration, so "cruiser" is probably meant to indicate something more along the lines of a pleasure cruiser than the warship classification; given its size and apparent similarity to the CR70 and CR90, a warship version of it would most likely be used for the same roles as these and thus should most appropriately be classified similarly, so it could therefore could be termed a corvette - though Star Wars (especially EU Star Wars) is not especially consistent with its classification conventions.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-09-12 at 07:02 PM.