Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
I had been seeing a therapist for unrelated issues when I came out as trans. She'd never had a trans patient before, but since we had an existing therapeutic relationship, she was willing to write a letter for me.

The biggest roadblock I ran into had more to do with timing than gatekeeping (and is a funny story in hindsight). I never watched The L Word, so didn't know that season 3 had a character who transitioned from female to male. Apparently, seeing Max transition made a lot of AFAB realize they are transman and went to the local clinic that focuses on LGBT+ issues - which is also the clinic I went to.

The nurse-practitioner I met with was rather rude when I first went in, and I was upset and annoyed. At some point in the meeting, she asked me if I was "doing this because of Max." I gave her a confused look and asked who Max was. Her entire attitude changed and she became a lot more upbeat and supportive.
I'm glad that ended well for you. I guess the frustrating worry about "transtrenders" isn't new. My experience is positively idyllic in comparison.