1. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: [WFRP2e] The Saga of Jorunn - Part 1 - "That Which Remains"

Liebwen has to haggle his backside off, but you end up with two sets of respectable fur clothing for Byjan, and Marlene; Liebwen and Ortel left to suffer a little longer as your promise to clothe them so comes halfway to fruition. Six sceatta for two sets of furs is almost a steal; but the trade is draining away from Zagdhelm, and merchants are trying to clear what stock they have for portable, fungible silver. The merchant, a Skaeling trader named Haggur Fodrisson, is part way through his trade cycle. He brings thralls from deeper east in Norsca, trades them for more benign goods in Zadghelm, them moves on to sell those goods off at the large town of Krejj, in the boundary lands of Skaeling and Bjornling territory. Some partner will take those goods and move them on Skjold, where they will be traded to men from the southern realms - mostly, from the Empire of the effete hammer-god of men. You have seen the effigies that other Norscans make of him before they go raiding - a weak man, fat and laden with armor painted with ochre to imitate gold. This is what the Empire is - a weak, rich realm overseen by frail gods.

Haggur's little trade operation is a single large wagon, laden down with heavy ivory and mammoth pelts in bails. It is pulled by a team of four heavy shouldered musk-oxen that he dotes on, and has named Freggi, Skeggi, Peggi and Andreggi. For a couple of days travel, Haggur feeds you and your thralls from his stock of rations as you travel west. He's talkative, when you stop; Leibwen throws himself infront of the line of fire to keep him entertained with smalltalk, but he is a well travelled fellow with a wealth of information.

"Have you been to Krejj? It's a fine town. A few hundred, there; wooden walls, and a deep lake remaining frozen most of the year. The Krejji were once a much larger clan, in older generations; as big as any other, but they were driven to the brink by the Skaeling and now their land is our land. Now they are just one clan, one tribe, one town - the Bjornlings and Skaeling just let it stand as a neutral buffer, which suits a trader just fine. Long roads and deep snow; but a few more years of this, and I'll have all the money I need; I'll take a couple of young wives, and jump on one of those huge Marienburg boats, and buy passage down to the southern realms - souther than south, to the untamed lands beyond Tilea. There, a man can make a homestead with his wives; live like a jarl in his own domain! And there is so much sun that it never snows!"

Spoiler: OOC: Information Opportunity
    Show
    Haggur seems well travelled, and positively disposed towards your band. If you want to ask him about Norscan politics and tribes, or things further beyond, you can do so. He has politely not asked your tribe - it seems not to matter to him. Otherwise, I'll move us on to the next scene.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-02-27 at 05:49 AM.