View Single Post

Thread: The Book Thread

1. - Top - End - #324
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Death Gate is my jam, and I'd happily argue one of the pinnacles of 90s fantasy. It's also deeply and fantastically weird. Like, I can't think of another series where the protagonists are bit characters for the entire first novel, major portions of several novels are epistolary, and just the scope of the thing. It's genuinely huge in a way that few fantasy series even then tried, and I can't think of hardly any now that even come close. Yet, for all that, it's a surprisingly effective character piece, and the protagonists are extremely unusual for fantasy heroes. Alfred in particular just should not work, but he's completely marvelous.

Ooh, I didn't know that. What do you write, if you don't mind sharing?

Tone is tricky online. I try to assume people aren't being aggressive on purpose unless it's extremely obvious they're having a go at me, but that's just me. People also get really weird about other people not liking Their Thing, which I kinda get, but also, like, there's a ton of books and a ton of people, and they aren't all going to agree. Most of my favorite stuff is weird and niche and I totally get most people are going to be puzzled, confused or just plain turned off by it.
    It's been awhile so I don't really remember much of the books, but you've captured the general vibe of it excellently. I especially remember being fond of Hugh the Hand. Poor semi-zombie assassin cursed to be unable to kill anyone... quite fun. Also the second time I've ever seen a piece of media just straight up have The Wizard Who Did It as a character.

I'd love to share it, but I'm not allowed to link to my published novel here by forum rules. Mystic Muse posted it earlier in this thread though, it's Cursed World: Initial Sparks. Modern Fantasy story with a queer lens about a teenage girl who has to juggle her personal life, romantic prospects, the realization that the supernatural exists, and her own pyromancy. It's got excellent fight scenes, character work, and a little undercurrent of horror. Quoting someone else's perfect compliment; "it feels like the babysitter's club mixed with Stephan King".

Oh but I can link Mist and Fire, a serial I'm posting on Royal Road (and tumblr, where all of the current chapters are up. RR's updating once a week every Friday). It's a western of sorts in my setting, about a wandering gunslinger, a trans fire-dancer, and a hunt for "the man with a smile in his eyes".

I really do wish people would not immediately jump to hostility! Because trust me, if I'm asking why someone likes something, there's a good chance it is because I think I should like it on the face of it, and it's not clicking, and it's giving me severe anxiety. Putting a knife to my throat and saying "you're awful for saying this" isn't going to help much at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    My teenage self had a long-lasting rune magic obsession due to that series. Good read.
    Same honestly. I wonder how much of it shows...
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-03-02 at 07:35 PM.