Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
It's been awhile so I don't really remember much of the books, but you've captured the general vibe of it excellently. I especially remember being fond of Hugh the Hand. Poor semi-zombie assassin cursed to be unable to kill anyone... quite fun. Also the second time I've ever seen a piece of media just straight up have The Wizard Who Did It as a character.
Also that. And I really loved how odd the ending was. It's basically like reverse Superman.

I'd love to share it, but I'm not allowed to link to my published novel here by forum rules. Mystic Muse posted it earlier in this thread though, it's Cursed World: Initial Sparks. Modern Fantasy story with a queer lens about a teenage girl who has to juggle her personal life, romantic prospects, the realization that the supernatural exists, and her own pyromancy. It's got excellent fight scenes, character work, and a little undercurrent of horror. Quoting someone else's perfect compliment; "it feels like the babysitter's club mixed with Stephan King".
That was enough to find it, thanks! Added to the list. Will be a while, I bought vastly too many books last month, so I think March is gonna be another no book buying period. Some people have dry Januaries, I have no bookshop months. Mostly so I can pretend to catch up on reading. But I'll definitely read it and let you know what I think (if you want me to talk about it here that is. If not, I won't.)

I really do wish people would not immediately jump to hostility! Because trust me, if I'm asking why someone likes something, there's a good chance it is because I think I should like it on the face of it, and it's not clicking, and it's giving me severe anxiety. Putting a knife to my throat and saying "you're awful for saying this" isn't going to help much at all!
I certainly don't mean to give anybody anxiety, so please don't read my posts as a commandment to agree with my takes on anything. Honestly I'm surprised when anybody is interested in my take on any book, as I'm pretty used to my tastes being very niche and basically ignored by everybody. Certainly nobody I know IRL reads any of the stuff that I do.

Which sounds sort of sad, but is sort of a great thing about books. There's so many, and they are so diverse that nobody is pigeon-holed into reading the same stuff. It isn't like movies or something, where there's a relatively small number total, and an even smaller number that attract all the attention. There's just books and books and books for miles, so with a bit of looking there's probably something for pretty much everybody. And if not, they can write one!

(Yeah sure there's popular books, and books that suck up a lot of press. But why would I care? I haven't seriously paid attention to book reviews in years, if ever, and I'm hip deep in stuff I want to read. Reading stuff that reviewed well, or was reviewed at all, would be a really bad filter for me because it would just miss so many things that have brought me so much joy. Generally much more joy than the stuff that everybody talks about for like two weeks and then forgets about.)