Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
My guess would be that it doesn't hold up all that well. Evolutionary biology underwent major changes beginning in the 1990s, due to the combination of widespread acceptance and use of cladistics and the development of viable genetic sequencing techniques. I never read much of Dawkins myself, his style always felt needlessly antagonistic to me, but much contemporary writing on similar subjects, such as works by his erstwhile academic opponent Stephen J Gould, is now seriously dated.
The Selfish Gene isn't really about the details of evolutionary biology as it was understood at the time, but about reframing the manner of thinking about evolution and behaviour as being a thing genes do instead of a thing individuals do, which helps to resolve some apparent conflicts between behaviours and the expected optimal outcome for individuals.

The title is based on the idea that a gene being selfish can produce the opposite outcome in behaviour (because "being selfish" for a gene means advantaging all copies of the same gene no matter what body they happen to be in).