Been reading a bit of this, a bit of that.

Mortal Sun's by Tanith Lee. I'm about a third of the way through. This is an intermediate Lee, not as relatively accessible as The Silver Metal Lover, but not as obtuse as, say, Blood of Roses. It's a classical Greece, or possibly Egyptian flavored fantasy, though perhaps more of a fictional memoir than Ye Olde Quest For Found Family. As is typical the prose is beautiful, the plot inexplicable, and awful things constantly happen for no intelligible reason. Good, but definitely am inessential entry in Lee's canon.

Hunting for something a bit easier, I started Lethe by Tricia Sullivan, which I grabbed during a used book harvest some months ago because it's called Lethe and I'm a sucker for classical allusion, and also there's a naked lady swimming in a tank of green sci-fi water with background dolphins on the cover. That suggests either schlock or existentialist woo, and in my endless quest for weird I'm down for either.

It's certainly weird. Within the first few chapters we get gene-altering virus warfare, animal- human hybridization, super intelligent dolphins, regular humans living in a giant reservation building for their own survival, under a government made up of networked brains in tanks. Even if the narrative turns out to be conventional (and u rather doubt that), at least the set dressing is bizarre.

Also my copy of Battleship Bismarck: A Design and Operational History arrived the other day. At something like 9 pounds and 500 pages summarizing the authors' literal half century of research, it should keep me busy for a while. Assuming the sheer mass of the thing doesn't pulverize me.